Friday, April 21, 2006

update

First of all, sorry for being a Sad Excuse for a Blogger. I'll try to do better. I have no grand stories to tell this week, but I'll try to catch y'all up on some highlights of the week so far.

Easter is hands down my very favorite holiday. I love it. I love setting aside a day of praise and joy to my God who is alive and who loves me enough to make me alive too. For the last 8 years or so, it has been a time of hope and confidence in my faith. Alleluia. He is risen.

Ellyn and I were lucky enough to be invited to spend Easter brunch with one of our favorite families ever. It was almost entirely fabulous. The one awkward moment came when our beloved pastor tried to set us up (either one... doesn't matter... we're pretty interchangeable) with some guy in our church. We've never met him. I'd never heard of him. We were like, uhh... thanks? but we'll pass?

THEN we got to go to Oklahoma (the musical, not the state), which was super fun. SUPER FUN. I grew up listening to the Oklahoma sound track (on a record album, of course), and it was a battle not to sing along to Ado Annie.

The weather was so beautiful yesterday that I got to bask outside in the sunshine while eating the Most Amazing Sandwich Ever (grilled chicken, avocado, bacon... mmm).

2 men in the last 2 months or so have mistakenly spelled my name wrong. Not my last name, which happens occasionally, but my first. I got an email that began: Dear Marry, blah blah blah. I don't really remember what the email was about because I was so distracted by my not-name. Then, the guy who changed my tires a while ago said, "Oh, like M-a-r-r-y?" No, just one R. It's not the verb, it's just my name. Draw whatever conclusions you want.

Tonight after work I am hopefully headed to Seattle! Wahoo! I'm going to a wedding party!

4 comments:

Will said...

Who the hell makes that kind of mistake? I think it's the fact that we live in a society where people decide that it's not enough to give a child a normal name, and if it sounds normal, we can't bloody well spell it normal. "Hi, my name's 'Connor,' spelled 'CWNYR.' It's Welsh!" Thus, when someone says "Hi, my name's 'Mary,'" the assumption is that it is probably spelled in some batshits insane way, such as "mry" or "marry" or "merry." Or somesuch. I blame the internet and the return of swing.

Miranda said...

What does it say about me that I didn't even associate a meaning with "marry" until you clarified the part of speech at the end?

Jenevieve said...

Yay, a post!


Okay, I'll go read it now!

Jenevieve said...

Me: "What's your first name?"
Him: "Sky."
Me: "Spelled the normal way?"
Him: "Yes. S-C-H-E-I-Y=E"