Wednesday, April 12, 2006

sob story

My entire body ached this morning. My arms, back, legs, and head yelped in prostest when I tried to get up. It felt like someone beat me up yesterday.

Oh that's right. Someone did.

My 5yo and I had a slight disagreement at the end of my shift yesterday. We had stopped for an emergency potty break at Rite Aid on our way home, and dear 5yo decided she needed some Disney Princess chapstick someone had placed, in a moment of insanity, immediately at child level in the aisle. I said no, we're here to potty and go home. She errupted in sobs and started running around the store. This was slightly embarrassing, but pretty standard. It was when she started hitting herself in the face when I had to step in.

Long story short: we got unceremoniously kicked out, and, all told, I restrained a biting, kicking, scratching, hitting, head-butting, shrieking child for about 45 minutes.

As soon as I started the drive home, I started crying. Sobs that eerily echoed my poor kid's. She had been screaming, "I hate myself. I want to hurt myself. I don't care if you love me. I hate myself." So, I angrily screamed at God, "Where is your redemption for her?" And He said, "It's starting with you." And I cried more.

3 comments:

Miranda said...

i'm reminded of a song lyric "what a beautiful piece of heartache this has all turned out to be"

Will said...

When it feels like life has your trousers down around your ankles, it's time to start thinking about wearing a belt.

Jenevieve said...

Miranda- Funny, the lyric that came to my mind was
"I can't stop the rain
from falling down on you again
I can't stop the rain
but I will hold you 'till it goes away"

Mary, that is so sad.