Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I still haven't gotten used to...

Ok, I'm transitioning out of my foster kid job in a few weeks, which has me thinking about my jobs in general. In spite of the fact I've been working here for a while, there are still a few things that catch me off-guard.

Like how to respond when dads try to flirt with me in the park. Umm... yeah. Actually, this kid is not my daughter. And even though your left hand is conspicuously naked, I'm not really interested. Sorry.

Or how to look at microfilm for more than 10 minutes without feeling nauseated.

Or how to handle a kid running away and/or getting pregnant.

Or how to deal with customers who think I can do things I am not allowed to do. I promise I'm not just being a jerk. My boss told me flat out I'm not allowed to do that. Sorry.

There are some things I feel I've mastered: persuading small children to use kleenexes instead of picking their noses, figuring out what time we need to leave where to get to x location at x time, looking busy on computers, photocopying with speed and precision.

Oh well. I can stop procrastinating at work now... my shift is up! Lunch!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have totally got to let me in on the secret of getting kids to use Kleenex... my little (snotty-nosed) darlings are terrible with that one!

Becky

Jenevieve said...

Shoot. I just typed a really long comment, then looked up and realized I had the caps lock on. Grrr.

Anyway, after spending endless hours looking through a microscope, I can handle microfilm for at least 30-45 minutes at a time. For me, it's closing one eye. For others, it is relaxing your focus every minute or so.

Anonymous said...

I am also impressed by your ability to get children to use kleenexes.