Monday, December 12, 2005

Question:

Is this a date?

Here's what happened:

After church last night, I was chatting with a couple of guy friends and one suggested we all go watch a movie at his house. It sounded fabulous to me, but not-so-fabulous to the other, who opted out in order to get some reading done. We called our respective roommates to invite them, but they were all working/busy/ill. So, the movie-minded friend of mine looked at me and said, "Well, do you still want to come?" I said, "Sure."

My thoughts at this point: There were no date-intentions at the outset, so it won't be awkward unless I make it awkward by being weird about it. It is not a date.

But then, the opted-out looked at me and said, "Umm... won't that be weird?"

Now it will. Thanks.

So the movie-mind said, "Hmm... why don't we do it another time?"

I said, "Sure, sounds good." Because I really didn't care a whole lot either way.

So the question is: is it, in fact, weird for two friends of the opposite gender to hang out alone (granted, late at night and in the dark) when there were no romantic intentions? I didn't think so. But I want to hear opinions.

It should probably be noted that Mr. Opted-out is a Former You-Know-What of mine, and Mr. Movie-mind his best friend. You know, just to spice things up a little.

2 comments:

Jenevieve said...

I don't think it would be weird. Then again, the one person of the opposite gender with whom I spent a lot of time (including movie-watching) without dating eventually became my husband. So maybe I should just shut my mouth.

Andrew Seely said...

I have a friend (who's female) who has a theory that it's near impossible to have opposite sex relationships without one of the parties having some sort of romantic feelings for the other.

I don't know if I totally agree, but I do know that it's happened on more than one occasion for myself.