Tuesday, May 08, 2007

how my students were cute today

I don't usually refer to my students as cute. Twits, stinkers, children, and funny... yes. Cute... nor so much. Today I was observed by the English Department Head, and the second the students felt his imposing presence enter the room, an eerie and beautiful hush fell over the room.

The students bent their dear heads over their journals and scribbled furiously. Twice I heard two students begin to giggle and gossip, only to be shushed by their peers. Soft and menacing whispers of, "Can't you see she's being observed? Shut up! If you don't shut up I'll kick your ass!" were just barely heard. As I explained the assignment for the day, students asked, "Do you want those citations in MLA format?" Well, yes, but I'd be suprised if you knew what that even meant. You're showing off for me, aren't you? "For this assignment, can we write more than two pages if we want?" Um... of course? Always?

The second he left the room, they exploded in their usual chaos, but it was flattering that they cared so much. They're precious sometimes. I'll miss them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish my students would threaten to kick ass rather than shame me in front of my boss.

Seriously though, I'm glad they recognize your worth on occasion. You are pretty great you know.

Jenevieve said...

That is hilarious! And... maybe the beginning of respect?