Friday, February 03, 2006

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind...

I love John Donne. I love that he can write beautifully about things that break my heart and make me fall down in awe. I've been thinking deeply about what it means to be united in the Body of Christ - about grieving and rejoicing with believers. I am in a time of deep sorrow with many of my dear friends right now, and it's baffling how closely connected my heart is with the people around me. I suppose it's part of God's will for us as believers in the world to love and weep and dance together. It's the weeping that gets me.

And first, I bless thy glorious name, that in this sound and voice I can hear thy instructions, in another man's to consider mine own condition; and to know, that this bell which tolls for another, before it come to ring out, may take me in too. As death is the wages of sin it is due to me; as death is the end of sickness it belongs to me; and though so disobedient a servant as I may be afraid to die, yet to so merciful a master as thou I cannot be afraid to come; and therefore into thy hands, O my God, I commend my spirit, a surrender which I know thou wilt accept, whether I live or die. - John Donne, Devotions upon Emergent Occasions

My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. - Colossians 2:2-3

1 comment:

Jenevieve said...

I love John Donne, too. About every six months I say to Matt, "Hey! You should set some of his poetry into music!". I always forget that we have had that conversation until I say it again.