Monday, June 05, 2006

the adventure of the haunted cemetery

So, a certain Anonymous Commenter and I were hanging out on Saturday, and we happened to drive past a cemetery. Now this cemetery is small, fairly well-kept, and out of the way. However, it features an intriguing stone grotto complete with a tower on the top of a hill. I've wanted to go there since the first time I saw it, so we stopped. At the bottom of the hill is a handpainted sign that says "Rattlesnakes." Whatever. There are rattlesnakes around here if someone is foolish enough to go poking in holes in abandoned hillsides. We'd be fine.

We walked about halfway up the hill, Mr. A-C ahead of me by a few feet, when I saw this: I said in a calm and firm voice, "Mister Anonymous Commentator," and started running down the hill. When he turned around and said, "what?" I replied, "umm... there's a snake." He yelled and ran down the path a few yards. Then, out of some sort of masculine curiosity, turned back to get a closer look. That's when he found the OTHER one. We left in a hurry. Sandles aren't conducive to rattlesnake hunting.

Now, of course, my curiosity is piqued. Why are the rattlesnakes guarding the grotto? Is there some sort of treasure or mystery there? I need to get me some cowboy boots and a shotgun.

5 comments:

Jenevieve said...

Was that with last post's anonymous commentor?

Anonymous said...

First of all, I'm really glad the picture of what you saw is not viewable. Second of all, I'm completely traumatized just by reading your story! Ugh! Thirdly, if you go investigating, please kill every snake you see (or even don't see), just kill them all!!!

Will said...

Egads, there is much hate towards snakes on this blog. The secret is basically to just leave them alone.

Anonymous said...

I am also curious! Maybe the snakes are really charming princes under and evil curse. I'd suggest a little hot lips action to set them right again.
~ln

Andrew Seely said...

Mary you're becomming a hobo-blogger. Come back...we miss your fun stories.