Monday, January 28, 2008

Answered Prayers (even semi-silly ones)

It's snowed a little bit here in town. Yesterday, David and I spent a couple or three hours digging out cars from the freshly plowed streets. Yes, they even plowed the side streets, even though that was 3-4 inches ago. We dug out my new car (side note: YAY!). Even though I'm refusing to drive it in this beast-weather until I have insurance, it's easier to dig freshly plowed snow than iced-over-compacted-mountains. We dug out a neighbor's car. We dug out David's car. We dug out another neighbor's car. We dug out his parents' driveway. It was the most exercise I'd gotten in months.

Featured in this photograph: my Handsome and Hardworking fiance, my pretty car, and the 11" or so of snow.



As all of this occurred, schools were closing like mad. Some waited for the Official Meeting to see what the combined opinions of such trustworthies as the State Patrol, Firefighters, Snow Plow Crews, and Paramedics thought. They shouted a resounding, "STAY HOME! DON'T BE AN IDIOT!" Most school districts closed. Except mine and the two other valley districts. I prayed, "Jesus, if it's going to snow, and least make it snow big enough to miss school. Amen."

This morning I woke up and checked the school closures. No Luck. The teacher giving me a ride was too afraid to come into my neighborhood (justifiable caution), so I was going to meet her at a bus stop 7 blocks away. I thought mutinous thoughts at this point. There is no reason to have school when none of the kids are going to show up anyway. They must despise us and want us to die icy deaths.

Luckily, I checked schools again, and we have reluctantly closed. And not until 5:30 a.m. AFTER the other schools. How heroic.

But YAY! I get to build a snowman with David today!

6 comments:

Miranda said...

the time of your post makes me sad. No one should be awake that early. But yay for snow days. We get those here sometimes, but haven't really had any snow yet this year.

Ln said...

Whitworth also waited until 5:30am to close. Since I am not in the habit of checking my e-mail at that hour I was bitterly unaware of the closure and almost made it into my car before a dear dear office mate called to tell me to go back to bed. Too late. At least I got to eat breakfast for once.

Jenevieve said...

Cool car! Also, I wish we could have a snow day.

Matt said...

Believe it or not, I kind of miss Spokane for this...

Anonymous said...

yah, we just have crappy weather without the school/life closing part.

Jenevieve said...

p.s. i just talked to Dr. Mike and he said Clayton's gotten 55 inches this year. The snow is above the fence line outside of the pastures, and about knee deep still where the horses have trampled it down. The plow won't work because the snow just comes over the top of it.

Crazy!