Friday, September 14, 2007

Oh, children.

That's what I say when they're being naughty. "Oh, children." Because they're acting like children.

Yesterday I had two students acting out a skit while I read it. I promise the skit was perfectly innocuous. They don't KNOW enough Spanish for anything else. But the male actor decided to make an inappropriate gesture. The entire class erupted in someone-just-did-something-related-to-sex laughter. To be honest, I was putting my camera down and missed it altogether. I pretended. I asked the actors to sit down and walked to the front. Sadly and seriously I said, "Class?" They responded (as I'm trying to train them), "Si." I said, "Raise your right hand. Now, repeat after me: I solomnly swear.... I will always.... be appropriate.... in Spanish class.... because I like my teacher.... and I do not want.... her to die of shame... because she is very impressionable."

It seemed to work for now. I got a panicked and heartfelt apology after class.

Then, to make the Thursday complete, we had open house. So I was at work for 13 hours, the final 3 fielding questions like, "This is your first year teaching, isn't it sweetie?"

4 comments:

Bianca said...

hahahahaha...that is the best oath I ever heard. hilarious.

I despise the word sweetie.

Sounds like you deserve a weekend!

Anonymous said...

Oh I will kick that evil woman who called you sweetie!

She should seriously be in awe of your skills. You got a whole class of teenagers to a)repeat after you
b)like you enough that they felt bad and apologized and c)agree to be appropriate. Ummm. That's not rookie level teaching. Seriously. You gotta share the wealth!

Miranda said...

Ah, young impressionable Mary, how I miss thee. I would be appropriate for you ;)

Jenevieve said...

You are hilarious. I despise when strangers use terms of endearment as a means of condescension. Grrr.