Wednesday, February 21, 2007

update

It's now 3:13 a.m. I woke up in a cold sweat about an hour ago, with my stomach literally in pain from anxiety about school tomorrow.

One of the first year teachers told me this happened to him while he was student teaching. I guess it's normal.

Meanwhile, I'm too tired to do anything productive. I'm too stressed out to sleep. I'm too mad at my students to stop thinking. Oh well. Here I am.

UPDATE: (3:17 p.m.) We had a serious chat about my behavior expectations and consequences today. They are remarkably reasonable (I think) and will train them in life skills that will help them keep a job (for example, not shouting across the room while your boss is giving a presentation or not texting during work meetings, etc). Class went much better, despite my nausea and beginnings of an ulcer that I've felt all day. All of my students were alive when they left 4th period today. One was sans cell phone, but that's his own fault. He had to negotiate it back from the principal. He knew the rule. And broke it. Twice. The consequence I promised ensued. He got mad, but not mad enough to get written up for that too. He did choose to sign the non-participation discipline referral instead of doing his work, though. Whatever. Moral of the story: I survived. they did too.

2 comments:

Jenevieve said...

Oh, Gravy. Do you need me to come give your class a stern talking to?

Andrew Seely said...

here's an e-backrub
sure sounds like you totally need one
and a good glass of merlot...