Sunday, February 01, 2009

Happy Superbowl Sunday!

Football is the third most boring TV experiences in the world. The first is golf, the second business/financial news. All three boring experiences are, coincidentally, always being broadcast simultaneously on the gym televisions. As my students say (the letters - not what they stand for or they have consequences), WTF? Even Billy Mays would be more interesting than this!

Aside from that tangent, today is the Superbowl, which makes me excited about $3million commercials and snacks, but for totally different reasons. I've been reading Mountains Beyond Mountains, and I'm pretty sure I could come up with more efficient uses of millions upon millions of dollars. Uses that include feeding hungry people, providing clean water, and vaccinating small children. Uses that do not include making a 30 second commercial. That's $100,000 per second. Just for the ads. If I start thinking about other endorsements, player salaries, stadium upkeep, etc. I just get pissed off.

Now that I started thinking about poverty, I don't really want to talk about snacks anymore. I'm going to make BBQ meatballs. I've never made meatballs before, but they seem like a pound or so of Squishy Good Times.

2 comments:

Kayla said...

Mountains Beyond Mountains was recommended to me by my Bible study leader...goodness?

ps The word verification thing is "peribect." Funny non-word.

Ln said...

I felt that this years advertisements were particularly lacking.