Friday, January 26, 2007

Quick update

I'm sitting in the lovely Kafunta Lodge in Zambia, about halfway through our safari.

Yes, I said safari.

It's pretty disconcerting to eat Wednesday's dinner at a church potluck in an impoverished village, making sure not to take too much rice and greens so that the servers don't get any, and THursday's dinner in a resort on a river, four courses of gourmet food.

The poverty disconnect aside, it's amazing. Glorious. Two highlights: we were about five feet from lionesses protecting a hippo they just killed - they are so powerful and beautiful. The second: six women squatting simultaneously behind the same bush to pee, while our driver yells down "there's a truck coming!" just to be a stinker.

We go back to Malawi on Saturday, attend church on SUnday, and start our journey home on Monday. I hope to have some time to process and write and post some pictures.

3 comments:

Bianca said...

Mary's alive! Yay post!

Safari....sigh...

p.s. I think "lioness eating hippo" is MUCH more disturbing (and reasons to not pee behind a bush) than "truck coming"... !!!

Jenevieve said...

Yay, she lives! I miss you bunches. You need to email me when you are back near your cell phone so I can call you!

Anonymous said...

So excited to see you again! I hope I never have to share a bush with 5 other women :)